Carcinogens in your Coffee <?>
Jack Ryan
2015-04-08 01:32:39 UTC
Coffee, a mixture of water, caffeine, methanol, ethanol, butanol, methyl butanol,
acetaldehyde, methyl formate, dimethyl sulfide, propionaldehyde, pyridine, acetic acid,
furfuryl, furfuryl alcohol, acetone, methyl acetate, furan, methylfuran and diacetyl
isoprene.

Too tired to open the CA prop 65 list, although I know ethanol causes reproductive
harm. But the DOSE determines the HARM.

YMMV
A.lurker A.nonymous
Frank
2015-04-08 13:03:43 UTC
Post by Jack Ryan
Coffee, a mixture of water, caffeine, methanol, ethanol, butanol, methyl butanol,
acetaldehyde, methyl formate, dimethyl sulfide, propionaldehyde, pyridine, acetic acid,
furfuryl, furfuryl alcohol, acetone, methyl acetate, furan, methylfuran and diacetyl
isoprene.
Too tired to open the CA prop 65 list, although I know ethanol causes reproductive
harm. But the DOSE determines the HARM.
YMMV
A.lurker A.nonymous
Coworker saw a warning on a bar in California that pregnant women should
avoid alcohol. His comment was that consumption of alcohol helped lead
to their pregnancy.
David Kaye
2015-04-08 18:04:59 UTC
Post by Jack Ryan
Coffee, a mixture of water, caffeine, methanol, ethanol, butanol, methyl butanol,
acetaldehyde, methyl formate, dimethyl sulfide, propionaldehyde, pyridine, acetic acid,
furfuryl, furfuryl alcohol, acetone, methyl acetate, furan, methylfuran and diacetyl
isoprene.
Considering that I have been drinking coffee nearly daily since age 7 (my
parents had it brewing 24/7 in our household) I'm none the worse for wear.
All my vital signs are normal and I look about 15 years younger than I am.
(Coffee is an anti-inflammatory, as well as a good protection against heart
attack, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.)
Post by Jack Ryan
Too tired to open the CA prop 65 list, although I know ethanol causes reproductive
harm. But the DOSE determines the HARM.
It is said that excess water causes harm. A woman died in a radio station
contest where she was encouraged to compete to win a Wii video game system
by drinking water. Oddly enough, the station was held harmless in this
event.

---
Frank
2015-04-08 18:21:41 UTC
Post by Jack Ryan
Too tired to open the CA prop 65 list, although I know ethanol causes reproductive
harm. But the DOSE determines the HARM.
It is said that excess water causes harm. A woman died in a radio station
contest where she was encouraged to compete to win a Wii video game system
by drinking water. Oddly enough, the station was held harmless in this
event.
---
Think this is latest CA prop 65 list:

http://oehha.ca.gov/Prop65/prop65_list/files/P65single013114.pdf

Elsewhere you can find no significant risk levels for a lot of these
materials. I seem to recall some as being in micrograms per day
exposure and practically impossible to monitor.

All that is required is warning consumers either on label, literature or
MSDS. If someone like the Sierra Club catches your mistake it could
cost you dearly and these environmentalist look for things since they
get a cut of the fine.
Steve Pope
2015-04-08 20:56:40 UTC
Post by David Kaye
Considering that I have been drinking coffee nearly daily since age 7 (my
parents had it brewing 24/7 in our household) I'm none the worse for wear.
All my vital signs are normal and I look about 15 years younger than I am.
Survivor bias.

Steve
Eddie Grove
2015-04-09 00:20:28 UTC
Post by Steve Pope
Post by David Kaye
Considering that I have been drinking coffee nearly daily since age 7 (my
parents had it brewing 24/7 in our household) I'm none the worse for wear.
All my vital signs are normal and I look about 15 years younger than I am.
Survivor bias.
Unlikely.

There have been a slew of headlines in the last few months about studies
saying that coffee intake of 3 to 4 cups per day is linked to better
health, particularly for women. I didn't read them, but I noticed the
headlines.

For example, going to news.google and searching on 3 cups of coffee yielded
http://www.livetradingnews.com/drink-good-coffee-enjoy-a-long-life-101553.htm
“There is no evidence whatsoever for negative health consequences in the
general population and if anything, the signal was in another
direction. It seems to be protective.”

Now I don't think coffee is protective. Most likely, it correlates to
something else that is helpful. However, if coffee were deadly such
correlations would presumably be overwhelmed.

Eddie

apologies if this posts multiple times, having some issues posting
Ciccio
2015-04-09 15:53:08 UTC
Post by David Kaye
Considering that I have been drinking coffee nearly daily since age 7 (my
parents had it brewing 24/7 in our household) I'm none the worse for wear.
All my vital signs are normal and I look about 15 years younger than I am.
(Coffee is an anti-inflammatory, as well as a good protection against heart
attack, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.)
You offer little, if anything, to prove that coffee has contributed to
your health and appearance. What's to say that your health and
appearance would be the same even if you had never consumed coffee in
your life? You need to connect some dots because correlation alone does
not establish causation.

I likewise, have been drinking coffee ever since I can remember,
certainly prior to the time of my First Communion (at age 7). That said,
I attribute people opining that I look 15 years younger than I am, much
more to my genes than coffee consumption. Indeed, I have siblings who
eschewed coffee in their youth and never took up drinking it. They,
however, also look, at least, 15 years younger and are in good health.

Also, Americans underestimating my age based on looks could be due to
cultural perception. In Italy Italians correctly ballpark the look of my
age, but in America Americans consistently considerably underestimate
the look of my age.

Bottom line, as to coffee, like all beverages or food, the key is to
consume what you enjoy and enjoy what you consume. This contributes to
happiness. After genetics, happiness is the main ingredient to looking
younger and being healthy.

Ciccio
--
I don't care where Obama was born;
it's where he's living now that
bothers me.
David Kaye
David Kaye
2015-04-09 19:45:45 UTC
Post by Ciccio
happiness. After genetics, happiness is the main ingredient to looking
younger and being healthy.
I believe this is true. A lot of people are annoyed by my Pollyanna
attitude about life, but I've experienced so many bad things, mostly deaths
of lots of people close to me, that I basically had no choice but to pick up
and move on. I greet each day with a smile. I go out to my car, which is
typically parked a block or two away, and I smile as I walk around the
corner and see that it is still there and hasn't been vandalized. Silly?
Not in a world where cars get vandalized and stolen all the time.

Even with high rents in SF and some friends moving away, I'm still positive
because I wake up and I'm in SAN FRANCISCO, damn it, not Dallas, Altoona, or
Pittsburgh.

But, I'm not going to discount coffee as a contributing force toward my
health.

---