Quiet
Julian Macassey
2013-11-18 16:51:52 UTC
For the population of LA and number of good places to
eat. This group is very quiet.
--
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant
market share. No chance." Steve Ballmer 6/29/2007
Peter Lawrence
2013-11-20 17:43:48 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
For the population of LA and number of good places to
eat. This group is very quiet.
Most people in L.A. eat fast food. You probably could find their reviews
over at alt.food.fast-food.

;)
Julian Macassey
2013-11-20 19:11:58 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Julian Macassey
For the population of LA and number of good places to
eat. This group is very quiet.
Most people in L.A. eat fast food. You probably could find their reviews
over at alt.food.fast-food.
What we need then is a review of the famous downtown LA
bacon wrapped hot dogs.

Personally I have never eaten one. When I'm downtown I
usually eat at Angelique.

But if you are downtown, you are not far from Beverly and
Ramparts, home of the original Tommy's burger stand. Now that is a
burger to remember, I get double, two patties and chilli of course.

I love the greasy mess that is a Tommy's burger.

Some Tommy's branches also serve chilli fries, an LA
version of poutine.
Alan Mazer
2013-11-20 21:45:46 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
But if you are downtown, you are not far from Beverly and
Ramparts, home of the original Tommy's burger stand. Now that is a
burger to remember, I get double, two patties and chilli of course.
I love the greasy mess that is a Tommy's burger.
When I was younger a coworker and I used to eat at Tommy's at least once
a week. I'd get two double-chili-cheeseburgers. Now, 20 years later, I
tried just a single burger and almost lost my lunch. It's a good
burger, but the grease and overall fat content is definitely not for me
at my AARPish age :-).

Speaking of L.A. institutions, though, my wife and I just discovered
Langer's. Not convenient, for sure, but an awfully good place for a
deli lunch. Their bread alone is worth the price of admission.
lamey
Hey! On topic....What a sweet change.
horn
2013-11-21 14:42:24 UTC
Post by lamey
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 13:45:46 -0800, Alan Mazer
On 11/20/2013 11:11 AM, Julian Macassey wrote: But if you are downtown,
Speaking of L.A. institutions, though, my wife and I just discovered
Langer's. Not convenient, for sure, but an awfully good place for a
deli lunch. Their bread alone is worth the price of admission.
The Pastrami Sandwich is probrably the best this side of the Mississippi.
Remove +STRING to reply by email
Julian Macassey
2013-11-21 01:53:19 UTC
Post by Alan Mazer
Post by Julian Macassey
But if you are downtown, you are not far from Beverly and
Ramparts, home of the original Tommy's burger stand. Now that is a
burger to remember, I get double, two patties and chilli of course.
I love the greasy mess that is a Tommy's burger.
When I was younger a coworker and I used to eat at Tommy's at least once
a week. I'd get two double-chili-cheeseburgers. Now, 20 years later, I
tried just a single burger and almost lost my lunch. It's a good
burger, but the grease and overall fat content is definitely not for me
at my AARPish age :-).
I need the grease just to keep my joints from squeaking.
Post by Alan Mazer
Speaking of L.A. institutions, though, my wife and I just discovered
Langer's. Not convenient, for sure, but an awfully good place for a
deli lunch. Their bread alone is worth the price of admission.
Langers is a brisk walk from Tommys.

Langers is a hangover from the days when Westlake
(McCarthur park), was an upscale neighbourhood.
--
I like being able to fire people who provide services to me. - Willard
Mitt Romney January 2012
Ruprecht Mack Donaldson
2013-11-21 04:21:59 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Post by Alan Mazer
Speaking of L.A. institutions, though, my wife and I just discovered
Langer's. Not convenient, for sure, but an awfully good place for a
deli lunch. Their bread alone is worth the price of admission.
Langers is a brisk walk from Tommys.
Langers is a hangover from the days when Westlake
(McCarthur park), was an upscale neighbourhood.
Are you guys familiar with a place called The Nickel Diner?

Ruprecht P. McDonald
Professional Evil Twin
Peter Lawrence
2013-11-23 02:39:55 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
But if you are downtown, you are not far from Beverly and
Ramparts, home of the original Tommy's burger stand. Now that is a
burger to remember, I get double, two patties and chilli of course.
I love the greasy mess that is a Tommy's burger.
When I was younger a coworker and I used to eat at Tommy's at least once a
week. I'd get two double-chili-cheeseburgers. Now, 20 years later, I tried
just a single burger and almost lost my lunch. It's a good burger, but the
grease and overall fat content is definitely not for me at my AARPish age :-).
Speaking of L.A. institutions, though, my wife and I just discovered
Langer's. Not convenient, for sure, but an awfully good place for a deli
lunch. Their bread alone is worth the price of admission.
Heh... Tommy's and Langer's are two spots I try to eat at during my visits
to L.A..

In my younger days I often ate at the Original Tommy's on Rampart, but now
it's usually the ones in Burbank, Eagle Rock, Monrovia, Santa Monica (or
even Santa Clarita) that tend to be more convenient to my travels around the
L.A. area.

The only reason I don't stop by Langer's more often is its limited operating
hours. But if I'm in the general vicinity around lunch, I always try to
stop by at least once during my visits to L.A.. Their free (with
validation) parking lot just a short block area makes it very convenient to
stop over if I'm in the area when they're open.

They definitely serve the best pastrami in California (and frankly, it's one
of tops in the entire nation).

- Peter
ViLco
2013-11-21 08:08:11 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
What we need then is a review of the famous downtown LA
bacon wrapped hot dogs.
Bacon wrapped sausage are a worldwide staple, made differently in anyplace:
Switzerland, Germany, Austria, norhetn Italy, Hungary and nearby states, all
have their version of bacon wrapped sausages.
The LA version is very nice, with al those grilled onions and tomatoes,
mustard (I love strong) and mayo. Is the grilled poblano an official
requirement for this sandwich? Sadly, I read the health office now outlawed
the bacon, the morons...
Post by Julian Macassey
Some Tommy's branches also serve chilli fries, an LA
version of poutine.
That's interesting
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin
Julian Macassey
2013-11-26 06:10:30 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
But if you are downtown, you are not far from Beverly and
Ramparts, home of the original Tommy's burger stand. Now that is a
burger to remember, I get double, two patties and chilli of course.
Have you ever eaten at Fatburger? If so, what's your opinion?
The fries are OK, the burger is nothing special.
Some classmates of mine at UCLA lived at 452 San Vicente, which was
across the street from the only Fatburger I was ever aware of at the
time.
At that time, it was the only Fatburger. It was black
owned as was the much superior Mo Better Burger on lower Fairfax.
I would go out of my way for a Mo Better.
I've since come to understand that it's a moderately-sized
chain in the L.A. area.
In the Mid to late 80s it expanded to a local chain with
stores in Pasadena, West LA, etc. and even Santa Barbara.
Being a poor college student, I couldn't afford to eat there.
Tommy's on Ramparts would have been in your budget. The
Ramparts Tommy's used to be a Cal Tech favourite - But only in
the early hours.
--
"We can’t be successful unless we lie to customers.” Larry
Ellison to Bruce Scott.
Julian Macassey
2013-12-05 04:01:01 UTC
On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 16:45:28 -0800 (PST), Peter Lawrence
Post by Julian Macassey
Tommy's on Ramparts would have been in your budget. The
Ramparts Tommy's used to be a Cal Tech favourite - But only in
the early hours.
The Tommy's on Rampart was the favorite for USC students too.
I thought the Eagle Rock Tommy's would have been preferred by
Cal Tech students since it is quite a bit closer to their
campus than the one at Rampart & Beverley.
Much of the attraction for the Cal Tech students is the
ambience. The Eagle Rock one which looks like a re-purposed Der
Weinescnitzel which is not a 24 hour location I believe.
--
I am addicted to prescription pain medication. - Rush Limbaugh October
10, 2003