Wood-roasted coffee
Peter Lawrence
2012-05-01 00:18:32 UTC
What is second-wave coffee? (Just trying to catch up gradually.)
The ones between the first and third waves of coffee.
(I hope that helped.)
;)
But if it didn't help, here is how food critic Jonathon Gold defined first,
second, and third wave coffee in a 2008 L.A. Weekly article about LAMILL Coffee:

"The first wave of American coffee culture was probably the 19th-century
surge that put Folgers on every table, and the second was the proliferation,
starting in the 1960s at Peet’s and moving smartly through the Starbucks
grande decaf latte, of espresso drinks and regionally labeled coffee. We are
now in the third wave of coffee connoisseurship, where beans are sourced
from farms instead of countries, roasting is about bringing out rather than
incinerating the unique characteristics of each bean, and the flavor is
clean and hard and pure. "

http://www.laweekly.com/2008-03-13/eat-drink/the-latest-buzz/

Hopefully, you're now up to speed. :)

- Peter
Al Eisner
2012-05-01 01:16:33 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
[...]
Peter, if I say that it helped somewhat more than your first response,
would you take that as a compliment? :)

Seriously, it does answer my "second wave" question, although the
writer seems to step on his own story with that "incinerate" comment.
I doubt if he is a reliable, unprejudiced source....
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Peter Lawrence
2012-05-01 02:27:18 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Peter Lawrence
[...]
Jonathan Gold, prejudiced? unreliable? What heresy!

Next, you will be telling me that Michael Bauer in unreliable too!

;)

- Peter
Al Eisner
2012-05-01 20:06:57 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Peter Lawrence
[...]
No. Bauer has criteria that may not match yours or mine, but
they are pretty clear to anyone who reads him much. So far as I know,
he doesn't fling about incendiary buzz-words. I think.
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA