Los Angeles restaurant pays customers to put away their phones
Peter Lawrence
2012-08-20 06:47:37 UTC
"Ever feel like a dinner out at the local restaurant feels more like a trip
to Best Buy, with fellow patrons tapping on their smartphones or taking
photos of their meal? One restaurant in Los Angeles is now paying customers
to check their tech at the door.

Eva Restaurant on Beverly Boulevard is offering diners a 5% discount on
their bill if they dump their digital devices before being seated, according
to radio station KPCC. Owner and chef Mark Gold says it’s a tactic to keep
distracted dining to a minimum.

About half of patrons have taken Gold up on the offer."

http://goo.gl/mvf7e

or

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-restaurant-cell-phone-20120815,0,1669557.story

- Peter
Sqwertz
2012-08-21 05:13:09 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Eva Restaurant on Beverly Boulevard is offering diners a 5% discount on
their bill if they dump their digital devices before being seated, according
to radio station KPCC.
They probably would have gotten more/better publicity if they charged
patrons 5% more to not check their cell phones. And make it a
table-wide policy - if one person keeps their phone then the whole
table pays the extra 5%. Patrons carrying current AMA cards would not
be charged the extra 5%.

-sw
SMS
2012-08-21 15:22:48 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
"Ever feel like a dinner out at the local restaurant feels more like a
trip to Best Buy, with fellow patrons tapping on their smartphones or
taking photos of their meal? One restaurant in Los Angeles is now paying
customers to check their tech at the door.
Eva Restaurant on Beverly Boulevard is offering diners a 5% discount on
their bill if they dump their digital devices before being seated,
according to radio station KPCC. Owner and chef Mark Gold says it’s a
tactic to keep distracted dining to a minimum.
Can you dump some old phone before going to the table and keep your
smart phone with you and still get the 5%?

Personally, I don't care if someone is texting or photographing their
food, it's the talking that's annoying.

Photographing your food before you eat it has become a big thing. I was
on my bike on Sunday and stopped at Sally's for fish and chips and the
guy next to me was photographing his sandwich and clam chowder. Since
food is such a big part of any trip it's understandable. For example,
here is a photo of our Chinese breakfast at a very famous restaurant in
Beijing: <http://tinyurl.com/beijingbreakfast>.
Peter Lawrence
2012-08-21 16:14:49 UTC
Photographing your food before you eat it has become a big thing. I was on
my bike on Sunday and stopped at Sally's for fish and chips and the guy next
to me was photographing his sandwich and clam chowder. Since food is such a
big part of any trip it's understandable. For example, here is a photo of
<http://tinyurl.com/beijingbreakfast>.
As long as whatever a dining party at another table is doing isn't
distracting to me at my table (being too noisy - regardless of method, using
to much perfume or cologne, etc.), I really don't care what they're doing
while dining.)

- Peter
Sqwertz
2012-08-21 17:25:54 UTC
Post by SMS
For example,
here is a photo of our Chinese breakfast at a very famous restaurant in
Beijing: <http://tinyurl.com/beijingbreakfast>.
There are 3,700 KFC's in China. There are 4,700 in the U.S.

-sw
Pico Rico
Yes, but in the US the "C" stands for "chicken".
sms88
2012-08-22 04:42:50 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by SMS
For example,
here is a photo of our Chinese breakfast at a very famous restaurant in
Beijing: <http://tinyurl.com/beijingbreakfast>.
There are 3,700 KFC's in China. There are 4,700 in the U.S.
What was odd that we wanted some jook (porridge) and youtiao (long
Chinese donuts) and the only place we could find in the area that had
it, and was open early, was KFC, and we were not in a super touristy
part of the city. We never eat at KFC in the U.S. anymore. KFC is very
different in China. No mashed potatoes, no cole slaw, and a limited
selection of actual chicken parts.
JRStern
2012-08-30 17:43:07 UTC
Post by sms88
Post by Sqwertz
Post by SMS
For example,
here is a photo of our Chinese breakfast at a very famous restaurant in
Beijing: <http://tinyurl.com/beijingbreakfast>.
There are 3,700 KFC's in China. There are 4,700 in the U.S.
What was odd that we wanted some jook (porridge) and youtiao (long
Chinese donuts) and the only place we could find in the area that had
it, and was open early, was KFC, and we were not in a super touristy
part of the city. We never eat at KFC in the U.S. anymore. KFC is very
different in China. No mashed potatoes, no cole slaw, and a limited
selection of actual chicken parts.
Just so whatever they serve is finger-lickin' good?

J.