Camilo's Eagle Rock - Breakfast
Julian Macassey
2004-10-07 20:34:40 UTC
There are various kinds of breakfast spot. The noisy
coffee shop, the hotel dining room buffet, the funky, the ethnic
and the quiet contemplative. I would say that Camilo's falls into
the quiet contemplative slot.

This place started as a four table hole in the wall on
York Boulevard. Business was so good, they moved to much larger
premises on Colorado Boulevard in Eagle Rock.

They pride themselves on the quality of their coffee, and
it is pretty good. If you don't want "well coffee", they do have
an espresso machine. They do sell bags of their coffee bean blend
if you would like to drink their coffee at home or work.

I usually have the chilaquiles con huevos for breakfast.
Sometimes I have the huevos rancheros. Today I had the breakfast
burrito. All are excellent, but I would say my favourite is the
chilaquiles con huevos.

Also on the menu, but not tried are various omlettes,
frittata, french toast (Made with brioche), waffles and pancakes.

Service is good and attentive. The decor is industrial
reconstruction with faux continental touches.

There is parking in the back and meters on the street.

During the week, seating is no problem. On weekends, you
may have a wait.

Camilo's
2128 Colorado Boulevard
Eagle Rock

323.478.2644

Lunch and dinner are also served.
--
But hey, this is politics, a sphere in which there's zero
tolerance of logic. -- Mike Holmes
CWLee

Julian Macassey
2004-10-08 11:30:42 UTC
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 22:22:38 -0700, CWLee <***@post.harvard.edu>
top posted as he has yet to learn how to followup a post:
[on Breakfast at Camilo's]
Post by CWLee
What days/hours is it open? What dinner favorites do you
have there?
It opens for breakfast at 08:00 everyday.

I have never had dinner there.
--
"The right to be let alone is indeed the beginning of all
freedom." - Justice William O. Douglas
Sam D.
2004-10-08 18:54:38 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
There are various kinds of breakfast spot. The noisy
coffee shop, the hotel dining room buffet, the funky, the ethnic
and the quiet contemplative. I would say that Camilo's falls into
the quiet contemplative slot.
I have not gone there for breakfast but the menu offerings looked
interesting. At my suggestion 3 friends and I did go there for a
weekday lunch a couple years ago. None of us was much impressed with
the food and the service that day was really slow. Not that the food
was bad but it was just really ordinary. I may try Camilo's again,
this time for breakfast.

There are some decent food and dining spots all along that stretch of
Colorado Blvd. Cafe Beaujolais and its offshoot, Boulangerie
Beaujolais, Classic Thai, Colombo's, Casa Bianca (for Pizza) and the
Eagle Rock Italian Bakery. I know there are more but I can't remember
them.
Julian Macassey
2004-10-08 20:01:09 UTC
Post by Sam D.
There are some decent food and dining spots all along that stretch of
Colorado Blvd. Cafe Beaujolais and its offshoot, Boulangerie
Beaujolais, Classic Thai, Colombo's, Casa Bianca (for Pizza) and the
Eagle Rock Italian Bakery. I know there are more but I can't remember
them.
Casa Blanca does a great job with pizza. A young bohemian
clientele and friendly waitresses.

Plus of course, the burger by which the others are judged
- Tommys - has a place on Colorado Boulevard, Eagle Rock.
D. Gerasimatos
2004-10-08 20:22:51 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Plus of course, the burger by which the others are judged
- Tommys - has a place on Colorado Boulevard, Eagle Rock.
Ever been to Tommy's in Pasadena? I've driven by it approximately 3
trillion times and never stopped. Last Tommy's I went to was in Hollywood.
How good is the Pasadena incarnation?

Dimitri
Sam D.
2004-10-09 02:09:14 UTC
Post by D. Gerasimatos
Post by Julian Macassey
Plus of course, the burger by which the others are judged
- Tommys - has a place on Colorado Boulevard, Eagle Rock.
Ever been to Tommy's in Pasadena? I've driven by it approximately 3
trillion times and never stopped. Last Tommy's I went to was in Hollywood.
How good is the Pasadena incarnation?
Tommy's and In-N-Out are the only fast food chains that I care for
unless you count Top's which I don't think qualifies as a chain. I
haven't eaten at the Pasadena location but I've found the food at the
8-10 other Tommy's where I have eaten to be very consistent. The thing
that varies seems to be the speed with which it is prepared. For some
reason the ones with indoor seating seem to trail on this. The one in
Monrovia, for example, is pathetically slow. ER and Rampart are quick.
Oh, one more difference. Rampart has self service canned drink
coolers.
Tim May
2004-10-09 02:53:49 UTC
Post by D. Gerasimatos
Post by D. Gerasimatos
How good is the Pasadena incarnation?
Tommy's and In-N-Out are the only fast food chains that I care for
unless you count Top's which I don't think qualifies as a chain.
Although Arnie Adolphsson will undoubtedly scream that talking about
hamburgers is outside the charter of the group he claims to have
created, la.eats, the fact is that talking about hamburgers in la.eats
can HARDLY be more appropriate. You/we should be proud of your
heritage! (McDonald's, Carl's Jr., In-N-Out, Jack-in-the-Box, Tommy's,
other famous burger places).

I first learned about In-N-Out in around 1992, during a visit to see my
brother, in L.A. I had never encountered it in earlier years, even when
my brother, sister, and parents all lived in the area. Ididn't even
know what it was, truth be told. Its fame came later. Apparently the
Big Expansion, after the founder(s) died, was the reason.

I thought the food was excellent, and I was happy to see In-N-Out
expand up Highway 101 through Newbury Park, Ventura, Santa Barbara,
Atascadero, Salinas, and Gilroy and up into the Bay Area (where there
are now half a dozen of their places...and we are happy to
acknowledge, with all due respect to (or in Ebonics, "props") the
Southern California origin. Their stores are frequently crowded, always
clean, and offer excellent burgers!

Of the In-N-Outs I see in my area, most are crowded. The nearby
McDonald's (Gilroy, Mountain View, Sunnyvale) are not. Democracy in
action.

I've seen a few of the other famous L.A. burger places in my area, one
is called "Johnny Rockets," but I haven't tried them.

(I grew up in San Diego in the mid-50s to early 60s, and I used to eat
at what I have since learned was "Jack-in-the-Box #2," not far from
Mission Beach, and also ate at some early McDonald's. Fact is, there is
nothing wrong with burgers as cuisine. I expect that in 100 years the
successors of Arnie Adophsson will be decrying the lack of authentic
burger places.)

--Tim May
{STP}
2004-10-09 15:08:48 UTC
Post by Tim May
I've seen a few of the other famous L.A. burger places in my area, one
is called "Johnny Rockets," but I haven't tried them.
Johnny Rockets is a marketing exercise.

{STP}
Sam D.
2004-10-10 02:30:47 UTC
Post by Tim May
Post by D. Gerasimatos
Post by Tim May
Post by Tim May
other famous burger places).
I first learned about In-N-Out in around 1992, during a visit to see my
brother, in L.A. I had never encountered it in earlier years, even when
my brother, sister, and parents all lived in the area. Ididn't even
know what it was, truth be told. Its fame came later. Apparently the
Big Expansion, after the founder(s) died, was the reason.
Tommy's expansion was begun by the sons of its founder Tommy Koulax
after his death. It has about 30 locations.

One of In-N-Out's original founders is still alive, still in control
and still active in the company management.

The first In-N-Out opened in Baldwin Park in 1948, the same year the
McDonald Brothers opened their first location in San Bernardino. The
founders of In-N-Out were the then just married couple, Harry and
Esther Snyder. Harry died of cancer in 1976. Their 24-year-old son
Rich then took over the reins. Meanwhile his older brother was had
become involved a lifestyle of fast cars, fast women and drugs. Under
Rich the company grew to 93 outlets. In 1992 he was killed in a
private plane crash while on a scouting mission for new locations. Guy
then became head of In-N-Out but it was his mother Esther who
exercised the leadership over the company. In 1999 Guy died from an
overdose of hydrocodone. The company, which has no franchises, owes
very little debt and is entirely privately owned, looked like a ripe
takeover target but Ms. Snyder and other company officials have
resisted all such attempts. They have plans to remain independent even
after she is departed. In-N-Out has never strayed from its short,
original menu and rejects many of the newer methods common in other
fast food chains. Everything is prepared fresh and made to order. It
has no freezers, no heat lamps and no microwave ovens. Its employees
are also paid higher wages than any of its rivals. Its stores now
total somewhere over 200 in three states.
forked tongue
2004-10-09 03:15:09 UTC
Post by D. Gerasimatos
Post by D. Gerasimatos
How good is the Pasadena incarnation?
Tommy's and In-N-Out are the only fast food chains that I care for
unless you count Top's which I don't think qualifies as a chain. I
haven't eaten at the Pasadena location but I've found the food at the
8-10 other Tommy's where I have eaten to be very consistent. The thing
that varies seems to be the speed with which it is prepared. For some
reason the ones with indoor seating seem to trail on this. The one in
Monrovia, for example, is pathetically slow. ER and Rampart are quick.
Oh, one more difference. Rampart has self service canned drink
coolers.
I was wondering if anyone was ever going to mention Top's.

Can't help with the Pasadena Tommy's either. Driven by it many times
too.
Nick Nelson
2004-10-09 03:54:04 UTC
I tried it once and I suppose it was OK, I've never been a big fan.
The only other Tommy's I've eaten at is the Eagle Rock one.

My favorite burger comes from Hamburger Habit in Isla Vista, which
also has a chili sauce but it's a clear type chili - no beans or
tomatoes. Haven't eaten there since college in the late 70s. I think
they have at least one other location in the Santa Barbara area.
Tim May
2004-10-09 04:44:45 UTC
Post by Nick Nelson
I tried it once and I suppose it was OK, I've never been a big fan.
The only other Tommy's I've eaten at is the Eagle Rock one.
My favorite burger comes from Hamburger Habit in Isla Vista, which
also has a chili sauce but it's a clear type chili - no beans or
tomatoes. Haven't eaten there since college in the late 70s. I think
they have at least one other location in the Santa Barbara area.
Whew. I was near I.V. '70-'74 and never thought Hamburger Habit served
much besides a run-of-the-mill burger. Given a choice, the
flame-broiled burgers from the De la Guerra Commons were much tastier.

I.V. _was_ the first place I experienced a Taco Bell, however, circa
1971.

--Tim May
Arne Adolfsen
2004-10-09 06:22:16 UTC
Post by Nick Nelson
My favorite burger comes from Hamburger Habit in Isla Vista, which
also has a chili sauce but it's a clear type chili - no beans or
tomatoes. Haven't eaten there since college in the late 70s. I think
they have at least one other location in the Santa Barbara area.
The original Hamburger Habit is at Santa Monica Blvd. and Robertson Ave.
in West Hollywood. It's been there since I was in high school -- I
graduated in 1974, to give you the time frame I'm talking about. Unless
the Santa Barbara chain has no relation to the LA resto.

Arne
***@earthlink.net
{STP}
2004-10-09 15:06:36 UTC
Post by Arne Adolfsen
Post by Nick Nelson
My favorite burger comes from Hamburger Habit in Isla Vista, which
also has a chili sauce but it's a clear type chili - no beans or
tomatoes. Haven't eaten there since college in the late 70s. I think
they have at least one other location in the Santa Barbara area.
The original Hamburger Habit is at Santa Monica Blvd. and Robertson Ave.
in West Hollywood. It's been there since I was in high school -- I
graduated in 1974, to give you the time frame I'm talking about. Unless
the Santa Barbara chain has no relation to the LA resto.
I remember eating there in the '70s. We used to call it Hamburger Homo
because of the large number of flamboyantly gay customers late at night.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

{STP}
Arne Adolfsen
2004-10-09 15:46:47 UTC
Post by {STP}
Post by Arne Adolfsen
The original Hamburger Habit is at Santa Monica Blvd. and Robertson Ave.
in West Hollywood. It's been there since I was in high school -- I
graduated in 1974, to give you the time frame I'm talking about. Unless
the Santa Barbara chain has no relation to the LA resto.
I remember eating there in the '70s. We used to call it Hamburger Homo
because of the large number of flamboyantly gay customers late at night.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Hamburger Homo -- larf! I'm overcome with derisive laughter.

Gosh, the fact that Hamburger Habit is in the middle of Boys' Town
(which has been "Boys' Town" since at least the 1910s) didn't clue you
-- and your fancy lady -- in? Are you -- and your lovely lady --
completely clueless?

The "if you can't eat it, beat it" banner on the front of the shack
(which has been there for at least 35 years) didn't clue you in?

Arne
***@earthlink.net
Bob Barnett
2004-10-09 15:52:15 UTC
Post by Arne Adolfsen
Post by {STP}
Post by Arne Adolfsen
[...]
Shut up Annie.
He never said he didn't know why it was a bonesmuggler eatery.
No one needs your Hershey Highway History Lessons.
{STP}
2004-10-09 17:30:33 UTC
Post by Arne Adolfsen
Post by {STP}
Post by Arne Adolfsen
[...]
Maybe you should go back and read what I actually wrote and respond to
that.

{STP}
forked tongue
2004-10-09 22:29:25 UTC
Post by Arne Adolfsen
Hamburger Homo -- larf! I'm overcome with derisive laughter.
Gosh, the fact that Hamburger Habit is in the middle of Boys' Town
(which has been "Boys' Town" since at least the 1910s) didn't clue you
-- and your fancy lady -- in? Are you -- and your lovely lady --
completely clueless?
The "if you can't eat it, beat it" banner on the front of the shack
(which has been there for at least 35 years) didn't clue you in?
Gary
Gary:
All hail the protector and promoter of all that's gay, fag, queer and devoted
to buggery in the world, Allah Ackbar!

Not only are you a stinking liar, you are a pile of toxic waste. ES&D is far
to kind for you. You are the personification of Lucifer come to corrupt
mankind. Soon enough however you will return to the ninth level of hell and
sit at your lord and master Satan's right hand. Until that happy day may you
be visited by all manner of the One True Lord's wrath, plague, pestilence and
torture. May you and your al-Quida masters fail in using you to bomb and
destroy America. May your plans to spread biologic WMD in eating places fail.
One day they will come for you Gary, and you will be unable to escape true
justice. That will be a happy day for the rest of the world.
Arne Adolfsen
2004-10-10 18:44:59 UTC
Gary Adolfsen
You still can't get my name right, El Forko. The U.S. State Department
(along with the IRS and the Census Bureau) think I'm Gary Adolphson AND
Arne Adolfsen.
Post by Arne Adolfsen
Hamburger Homo -- larf! I'm overcome with derisive laughter.
Gosh, the fact that Hamburger Habit is in the middle of Boys' Town
(which has been "Boys' Town" since at least the 1910s) didn't clue you
-- and your fancy lady -- in? Are you -- and your lovely lady --
completely clueless?
The "if you can't eat it, beat it" banner on the front of the shack
(which has been there for at least 35 years) didn't clue you in?
All hail the protector and promoter of all that's gay, fag, queer and devoted
to buggery in the world, Allah Ackbar!
If you want to be taken seriously, you should know that the cry is
"Allahu akbar", but then you're an idiot and so you don't care about
accuracy. And of course I'm a homosexual, which I haven't hidden from
anyone since I was 13 years old way back in 1968.
Not only are you a stinking liar,
When, about what, where?
you are a pile of toxic waste.
Because of all the Diet-Coke I drink?
ES&D is far
to kind for you. You are the personification of Lucifer come to corrupt
mankind. Soon enough however you will return to the ninth level of hell and
sit at your lord and master Satan's right hand. Until that happy day may you
be visited by all manner of the One True Lord's wrath, plague, pestilence and
torture. May you and your al-Quida
"al-Quida"????? Is that spelling of yours similar to "Vatacon" or
Seuint Pegur's in Vatacon Square in Rume, Itly?
masters fail in using you to bomb and
destroy America. May your plans to spread biologic WMD in eating places fail.
One day they will come for you Gary, and you will be unable to escape true
justice. That will be a happy day for the rest of the world.
Hmmm.

I'm not sure how to respond to this complaint of yours, but I'm sure
Johnny Asscrack, our revered AG, is thinking of some reason to arrest
me.

Arne
***@earthlink.net
Julian Macassey
2004-10-10 03:51:01 UTC
Post by Arne Adolfsen
The original Hamburger Habit is at Santa Monica Blvd. and Robertson Ave.
in West Hollywood. It's been there since I was in high school -- I
graduated in 1974, to give you the time frame I'm talking about.
The Isla Vista location, known to be the original was
there in the early fifties.

The West Hollywood Hamburger Habit has terrible fries and
an inedible burger.
Post by Arne Adolfsen
Unless the Santa Barbara chain has no relation to the LA
resto.
You may be getting smarter.
Charles Hobbs
2004-10-12 03:15:01 UTC
Post by Tim May
Post by Nick Nelson
I tried it once and I suppose it was OK, I've never been a big fan.
The only other Tommy's I've eaten at is the Eagle Rock one.
My favorite burger comes from Hamburger Habit in Isla Vista, which
also has a chili sauce but it's a clear type chili - no beans or
tomatoes. Haven't eaten there since college in the late 70s. I think
they have at least one other location in the Santa Barbara area.
That Hamburger Habit was there when I went to UCSB in 1983-1987.
Greasy burgers and fries, decent shakes and free apple pies too.

In mid 1986, the IV Habit became "McBurley's", with $2 hamburgers
(scandalous for that time) and beer....Rumor had it that one of the
fraternities was running it....It's again something else now, though
I forget exactly what....
Post by Tim May
Whew. I was near I.V. '70-'74 and never thought Hamburger Habit served
much besides a run-of-the-mill burger. Given a choice, the
flame-broiled burgers from the De la Guerra Commons were much tastier.
Wasn't that Ortega Commons? They would make "Charburgers" at least
several times a week....just about all the taste burned out of them.
Tim May
2004-10-12 06:34:42 UTC
Post by Charles Hobbs
Post by Tim May
Whew. I was near I.V. '70-'74 and never thought Hamburger Habit served
much besides a run-of-the-mill burger. Given a choice, the
flame-broiled burgers from the De la Guerra Commons were much tastier.
Wasn't that Ortega Commons? They would make "Charburgers" at least
several times a week....just about all the taste burned out of them.
Yeah, you're right...it was the one nearer to the lagoon and the
Bookstore--I didn't bother to think out the name carefully, and
misremembered it. And the charburgers you describe are exactly what I
was thinking of--flames a couple of feet high when the grease caught.

Good to hear that they had kept the recipe even when you were there, 15
years or so after I was.

--Tim May
Charles Hobbs
...they're probably still having them for dinner as we speak...
Nick Nelson
And probably still using the same grills. Good times...
Charles Hobbs
2004-10-12 03:16:31 UTC
There was another "Habit" in Goleta (Hollister near the rec center),
don't recall what happened to that one either. I also don't know if there
is any corporate connection to the old IV or Goleta Habits, and the
new chain of them (branches throughout Santa Barbara, Ventura County,
and one just opened up in Encino....)
Julian Macassey
2004-10-10 03:48:05 UTC
Post by Nick Nelson
My favorite burger comes from Hamburger Habit in Isla Vista, which
also has a chili sauce but it's a clear type chili - no beans or
tomatoes. Haven't eaten there since college in the late 70s. I think
they have at least one other location in the Santa Barbara area.
The Habit has the original Isla Vista location and two in
Santa Barbara, one on State Street, next door to Zelos bar and
one on Milpas St, two blocks from the beach.

They also have a location in Thousand Oaks and one
in Valencia that I know of.

I had a Habit "Double Charburger" last Wednesday. Very
tasty. Like In-N-Out, they make them to order and use fresh
ingredients.
Tim May
2004-10-10 06:06:39 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Post by Nick Nelson
My favorite burger comes from Hamburger Habit in Isla Vista, which
also has a chili sauce but it's a clear type chili - no beans or
tomatoes. Haven't eaten there since college in the late 70s. I think
they have at least one other location in the Santa Barbara area.
The Habit has the original Isla Vista location and two in
Santa Barbara, one on State Street, next door to Zelos bar and
one on Milpas St, two blocks from the beach.
I tried some Googling to find out exactly where the first Hamburger
Habit was located. Arnie claims he patronized one while in West
Hollywood (where else?) while in high school, which he graduated from
in '74.

I patronized one, occasionally, in Isla Vista, while I was at UCSB from
1970 to 1974.

However, I don't know whether the I.V. place was a branch on the tree,
or the root. Anybody really know the scoop?

Interestingly, it was about a block away from what I _DO_ know for sure
was the very first, the very first, Kinko's. Kinko started his small
copy shop in the fall of 1970, just as I was arriving.

(I remember it was a pretty big deal when I saw another one of them in
San Luis Obispo, where my girlfriend at the time was going to school,
in 1978-79. Kinko's was just starting its major expansion, and I
remember saying to her, "Hey, that place started in Isla Vista!")

And smack dab in between that Hamburger Habit in I.V. and that first
Kinko's was Rusty's Pizza--the most beautiful blonde I've ever seen was
a student and a pizza girl there, circa '71-72. I think her name was
"Helen." She must have graduated that year, as I never saw her after
that spring.

Rusty's was right next to Morninglory Music. A lot of things have
changed in 30+ years, but I believe that both still exist, albeit in
heavily-mutated forms.

(The biggest mutation of all happened several years ago when a "box
store mall" opened, across from where "Two Guys" used to be, complete
with Home Depot, Borders, Linens and Things, Pet Depot, Napkin World,
etc. This was the biggest change I've seen in Isla Vista/Goleta in 34
years.)

--Tim May
Julian Macassey
2004-10-10 06:26:40 UTC
Post by Tim May
Post by Julian Macassey
The Habit has the original Isla Vista location and two in
Santa Barbara, one on State Street, next door to Zelos bar and
one on Milpas St, two blocks from the beach.
I eat at the Milpas Street location now and again. On the
walls they have pictures of the Isla Vista original.
Post by Tim May
I tried some Googling to find out exactly where the first Hamburger
Habit was located. Arnie claims he patronized one while in West
Hollywood (where else?) while in high school, which he graduated from
in '74.
This is what I found on google.

The Habit Est. 1969
5735 Hollister Ave, Goleta, CA 93117
805 964-0366
Post by Tim May
Interestingly, it was about a block away from what I _DO_ know for sure
was the very first, the very first, Kinko's. Kinko started his small
copy shop in the fall of 1970, just as I was arriving.
Now part of Fedex alas.
Post by Tim May
And smack dab in between that Hamburger Habit in I.V. and that first
Kinko's was Rusty's Pizza--the most beautiful blonde I've ever seen was
a student and a pizza girl there, circa '71-72. I think her name was
"Helen." She must have graduated that year, as I never saw her after
that spring.
There are Rusty's pizzas all over the Santa Barbara area
these days.
Tim May
2004-10-10 17:03:07 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Post by Tim May
And smack dab in between that Hamburger Habit in I.V. and that first
Kinko's was Rusty's Pizza--the most beautiful blonde I've ever seen was
a student and a pizza girl there, circa '71-72. I think her name was
"Helen." She must have graduated that year, as I never saw her after
that spring.
There are Rusty's pizzas all over the Santa Barbara area
these days.
And I remembered just after I posted that that blonde's name was Nancy,
not Helen. Not that it matters, but in case she or someone who knew her
ever does any net.spelunking, the record is now set straight.

--Tim May
Nick Nelson
2004-10-10 15:34:10 UTC
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 23:06:39 -0700, Tim May
Post by Tim May
I patronized one, occasionally, in Isla Vista, while I was at UCSB from
1970 to 1974.
I went there from 75-79.
Post by Tim May
Rusty's was right next to Morninglory Music. A lot of things have
changed in 30+ years, but I believe that both still exist, albeit in
heavily-mutated forms.
Morningglory was my first used record store that I regularly
patronized. It expanded into the store next door while I was there,
but I went back in '93 and it had shrunk a bit, and didn't really have
the same magic.
"Napkin World," just what Isla Vista needs!
Charles Hobbs
2004-10-12 03:23:54 UTC
Post by Tim May
And smack dab in between that Hamburger Habit in I.V. and that first
Kinko's was Rusty's Pizza--the most beautiful blonde I've ever seen was
a student and a pizza girl there, circa '71-72. I think her name was
"Helen." She must have graduated that year, as I never saw her after
that spring.
Rusty's moved out to Goleta by the time I got out there. Another pizza
joint, "Pizza Bob's" (a jock hangout that served watered-down beer) was
in its place....it's something else (not a pizza joint) now.
Post by Tim May
Rusty's was right next to Morninglory Music. A lot of things have
changed in 30+ years, but I believe that both still exist, albeit in
heavily-mutated forms.
Morninglory moved to Downtown SB about 10 years ago. There was another
record store (Sunshine Music, later Leopolds?) right across the street
from it, but that's long gone too.
Tim May
2004-10-12 06:30:21 UTC
Post by Charles Hobbs
Post by Tim May
And smack dab in between that Hamburger Habit in I.V. and that first
Kinko's was Rusty's Pizza--the most beautiful blonde I've ever seen was
a student and a pizza girl there, circa '71-72. I think her name was
"Helen." She must have graduated that year, as I never saw her after
that spring.
Rusty's moved out to Goleta by the time I got out there. Another pizza
joint, "Pizza Bob's" (a jock hangout that served watered-down beer) was
in its place....it's something else (not a pizza joint) now.
I recollect Rusty's moving to both Goleta and downtown SB (State
Street) by around the mid-80s, if not earlier. And Morninglory Music
had a store on State Street the last time I was strolling on that
street (2000).

But I remember some version of Morninglory Music being in the original
location when I was there (passing through, or even for conferences
held at UCSB, e.g., the yearly Crypto Conference) in the years between
'74 and '00.
Post by Charles Hobbs
Post by Tim May
Rusty's was right next to Morninglory Music. A lot of things have
changed in 30+ years, but I believe that both still exist, albeit in
heavily-mutated forms.
Morninglory moved to Downtown SB about 10 years ago. There was another
record store (Sunshine Music, later Leopolds?) right across the street
from it, but that's long gone too.
The large corner store opposite the Rusty's location, in the same block
that the old B of A was in, has changed hands many times. I don't even
recall what it was when I was there, '70-'74.

Across the street from both it and the Rusty's site, kitty-corner
across from Rusty's, was a slapped-together complext of huts and sheds,
one of them the first felafel place I had ever seen.

I do remember that the bicycle store next door to it (also near the
I.V. Foot Patrol and James Ventura, the rental company, my landlord
back then) has not changed much in more than 30 years. I happened to
walk by on my last visit, in '00, glanced in, and saw an older and
grayer version of the owner, the one who sold me my cheap 10-speed back
in 1970.

(And in I.V. Bookstore, the younger Japanese guy who worked for the
older Chinese guy is now the owner...I at first mistook him for the
Chinese guy, but he told me he bought the business from the old man,
who died sometime in the 1990s.)

Borsodi's was after my time, by the way, but some friends of mine spent
many hours in that coffee shop.

--Tim May
Charles Hobbs
2004-10-13 03:27:37 UTC
Post by Tim May
I recollect Rusty's moving to both Goleta and downtown SB (State
Street) by around the mid-80s, if not earlier. And Morninglory Music
had a store on State Street the last time I was strolling on that
street (2000).
But I remember some version of Morninglory Music being in the original
location when I was there (passing through, or even for conferences
held at UCSB, e.g., the yearly Crypto Conference) in the years between
'74 and '00.
Morninglory lasted for quite a while....next to it was Doug's Bougs
(VW auto shop) which eventually moved to Milpas (and got into some
trouble over a leaking oil tank, if I recall correctly). Also some
frou-frou omelet place that was only open two hours a day or something
like that....
Post by Tim May
Post by Charles Hobbs
Post by Tim May
Rusty's was right next to Morninglory Music. A lot of things have
changed in 30+ years, but I believe that both still exist, albeit in
heavily-mutated forms.
Morninglory moved to Downtown SB about 10 years ago. There was another
record store (Sunshine Music, later Leopolds?) right across the street
from it, but that's long gone too.
The large corner store opposite the Rusty's location, in the same block
that the old B of A was in, has changed hands many times. I don't even
recall what it was when I was there, '70-'74.
Wow, was that the B of A where the IV riot was (70?) They still have the
plaque commemorating the kid that was killed there, right near the door.
Although the bank building has been, since I've been up there and left:
* a video game arcade
* a gym
* a couple of different dance/drinking spots
* who knows what else.

Right now, I think UCSB bought it and uses it for office and/or
classroom space. Same with the IV "Magic Lantern" Theater, but that was
back in late 1984 when UCSB bought that.
Post by Tim May
Across the street from both it and the Rusty's site, kitty-corner
across from Rusty's, was a slapped-together complext of huts and sheds,
one of them the first felafel place I had ever seen.
Baba's Falafel....about the time I graduated, they replaced the funky
hut with a squarish building....it included a liquor store and a
grilled-chicken joint....I think Baba's might have ditched IV and
moved on campus:
http://www.ucen.ucsb.edu/dining_services/ds_units/ds_units_baba.html
Post by Tim May
I do remember that the bicycle store next door to it (also near the
I.V. Foot Patrol and James Ventura, the rental company, my landlord
back then)
....just about *everyone's* landlord, if you lived in I.V. J. Ventura
shared a building with a pool room/video arcade (last time I was up
there, oh, around late 2002, they had gotten a liquor license)
Post by Tim May
has not changed much in more than 30 years. I happened to
walk by on my last visit, in '00, glanced in, and saw an older and
grayer version of the owner, the one who sold me my cheap 10-speed back
in 1970.
Yowza!
Post by Tim May
(And in I.V. Bookstore, the younger Japanese guy who worked for the
older Chinese guy is now the owner...I at first mistook him for the
Chinese guy, but he told me he bought the business from the old man,
who died sometime in the 1990s.)
Remember Merlin's Used Bookstore (right next to the IV Foot Patrol
office)? It always smelled of cigar smoke.....
Post by Tim May
Borsodi's was after my time, by the way, but some friends of mine spent
many hours in that coffee shop.
I remember that place, though I never went in there....too hippy dippy
for me. (The Green Tortoise bus would stop there on it's LA-San
Francisco run!)

Now of course, there's probably a Starbucks in IV....

Woodstock's Pizza is still around, though.
Tim May
2004-10-13 05:31:07 UTC
Post by Charles Hobbs
Post by Tim May
The large corner store opposite the Rusty's location, in the same block
that the old B of A was in, has changed hands many times. I don't even
recall what it was when I was there, '70-'74.
Wow, was that the B of A where the IV riot was (70?) They still have the
plaque commemorating the kid that was killed there, right near the door.
* a video game arcade
* a gym
* a couple of different dance/drinking spots
* who knows what else.
That large building was there when I arrived in September 1970, very
quickly built to replace the much smaller building which was burned in
the spring of the same year. I never heard any details of just how it
got built (rebuilt is the wrong word) so quickly, in obviously less
than 6-8 months, but I figure various strings were pulled to get it
rebuilt FAST.

It was a bank the whole time I was there, but, as you say, had various
other uses later. When I was at UCSB for a cryptography conference in
1988 it was some kind of dance place.
Post by Charles Hobbs
Right now, I think UCSB bought it and uses it for office and/or
classroom space. Same with the IV "Magic Lantern" Theater, but that was
back in late 1984 when UCSB bought that.
The Magic Lantern was where I probably saw 95% of all the films I saw
back in '70-'74, from "Carnal Knowledge" to "Barbarella" to "A
Clockwork Orange," plus a series of cheesy Alex De Renzy and Russ Meyer
skin flicks, which passed for porn in those pre-video years.

I can't speak for why the owners sold, but converting a real movie
theater into Yet More Classrooms, when the university had more than
enough already (face it, a lot of classrooms were nearly empty, at
least at some hours...and there are cheaper ways to find 500 more seats
than acquiring a real movie theater), was close to being a criminal
act.
Post by Charles Hobbs
Post by Tim May
Across the street from both it and the Rusty's site, kitty-corner
across from Rusty's, was a slapped-together complext of huts and sheds,
one of them the first felafel place I had ever seen.
Baba's Falafel....about the time I graduated, they replaced the funky
hut with a squarish building
Yeah, Baba's was what it was. I'd never even heard of a felafel until
then.
Post by Charles Hobbs
Post by Tim May
I do remember that the bicycle store next door to it (also near the
I.V. Foot Patrol and James Ventura, the rental company, my landlord
back then)
....just about *everyone's* landlord, if you lived in I.V. J. Ventura
shared a building with a pool room/video arcade (last time I was up
there, oh, around late 2002, they had gotten a liquor license)
A run-down used bookstore was nearby, at least as late as around 1986,
when I scored a copy of Heidegger's "Being and Time" there on a brief
stop over on my way down to the LA area. I recognized the proprietor,
"Bob" I think his name was, as someone who ran it, or a similar place,
in 1974.
Post by Charles Hobbs
Post by Tim May
(And in I.V. Bookstore, the younger Japanese guy who worked for the
older Chinese guy is now the owner...I at first mistook him for the
Chinese guy, but he told me he bought the business from the old man,
who died sometime in the 1990s.)
Remember Merlin's Used Bookstore (right next to the IV Foot Patrol
office)? It always smelled of cigar smoke.....
Ah, I think you are now referring to this same bookstore I cited above!
I recollect the owner as being named "Bob," but the store was probably
called what you said it was.
Post by Charles Hobbs
Woodstock's Pizza is still around, though.
I'm not sure how much I remember of that. There was a complex of
run-down stores roughly across from the IV Bookstore, but further away
from campus. A burnt-out druggie opened some kind of "Sicilian pan
pizza" place there in 1972, one of the first competitors to Rusty's. He
offered a "free if you can eat it all" deal, and some of us tried it.
One of my roommates, now a senior math professor at Rutgers or
someplace like that, tried to eat the whole thing...I forget if he
managed to or not.

Another roommate, now the head of some kind of "autonomic computing"
program at IBM, was also a participant.

Did this evolve into Woodstock's Pizza? I don't know.

I do know that the original site was a used bicycle store last time I
was through, and Burger King had moved in kitty corner across the
street.

(I'll throw a new ringer into the mix. My last year in I.V. an "off
campus" beer seller arrived...prior to around 1973 there had been some
legal restriction on beer or wine sales within X miles of a UC campus.
This place started just around from my last apartment, on Sabado Tarde.
It was called "SOS" or somesuch, and had funky waterfalls and suchlike
in the rock garden outside. And it has lasted...everytime I drive
through I see it. So has the Mexican restaurant nearby, on the ocean
side of the Loop. Funny thing is, I never ate at that Mexican
restaurant. Back then, too poor to eat at sit-down restaurants.)

An interesting Web project might be a Wiki-style database of various
college communities across the country, where people could contribute
recollections of what was where, which stores and shops and hamburger
places were where, by year.

I'd love to see our cumulative recollections put together into a rough
data base of what happened to various places (the first Kinko's shop,
the Borsodi's site, the old taco joints, the Rexall Drugs store (now
gone), and so on. I expect folks knowing Madison, WI or Burlington, VT,
or several hundred other cities would think the same, especially if by
Web searching on remembered names they landed on such Web sites.

Just seeing a timeline, perhaps organized as a map (though this is not
strictly necessary) of old college hangouts would probably be almost as
interesting, and a lot easier to piece together, than those old high
school yearbook sites.

--Tim May
Charles Hobbs
2004-10-13 06:45:51 UTC
Tim May wrote:
[...] IV BofA
Post by Tim May
That large building was there when I arrived in September 1970, very
quickly built to replace the much smaller building which was burned in
the spring of the same year. I never heard any details of just how it
got built (rebuilt is the wrong word) so quickly, in obviously less
than 6-8 months, but I figure various strings were pulled to get it
rebuilt FAST.
It was a bank the whole time I was there, but, as you say, had various
other uses later. When I was at UCSB for a cryptography conference in
1988 it was some kind of dance place.
"The Graduate", I think. Did a lot of under-21 dances as well as
serving booze. I went there once or twice...

[...]Magic Lantern Theater
Post by Tim May
The Magic Lantern was where I probably saw 95% of all the films I saw
back in '70-'74, from "Carnal Knowledge" to "Barbarella" to "A
Clockwork Orange," plus a series of cheesy Alex De Renzy and Russ Meyer
skin flicks, which passed for porn in those pre-video years.
I can't speak for why the owners sold, but converting a real movie
theater into Yet More Classrooms, when the university had more than
enough already (face it, a lot of classrooms were nearly empty, at
least at some hours...and there are cheaper ways to find 500 more seats
than acquiring a real movie theater), was close to being a criminal
act.
It wasn't doing all that well when I hit the scene in Fall of 1983. I
remember going out with some friends on the first week of school. We
saw "National Lampoon's Summer Vacation" and "Strange Brew" if I recall
correctly....it was a Friday night and the theater was only half-full.
It shut down totally for a long while not too long after that, then UCSB
bought it next year.
Post by Tim May
Yeah, Baba's was what it was. I'd never even heard of a felafel until
then.
Me neither. The dining commons sometimes offered what they called
"felafels", but those were tasteless balls of tofu, not even fried!

[...] Merlin's Bookstore
Post by Charles Hobbs
Woodstock's Pizza is still around, though.
I'm not sure how much I remember of that. There was a complex of
run-down stores roughly across from the IV Bookstore, but further away
from campus. A burnt-out druggie opened some kind of "Sicilian pan
pizza" place there in 1972, one of the first competitors to Rusty's. He
offered a "free if you can eat it all" deal, and some of us tried it.
One of my roommates, now a senior math professor at Rutgers or
someplace like that, tried to eat the whole thing...I forget if he
managed to or not.
I think that place was "Perry's Pizza". This was a (mini-)chain, with
a store in Inglewood (near my school, I'd sometimes go there for lunch)
and another one in one of the Beach Cities (Redondo?). Served square
slices of pizza. They even tried to open a contract US Post Office
in that building in 1984, but that kind of fizzled. They went under
not too long after that.
Post by Tim May
Did this evolve into Woodstock's Pizza? I don't know.
Woodstocks was (and is) on Embarcadero Del Mar, a bit south of
Morninglory Music, etc.
Post by Tim May
I do know that the original site was a used bicycle store last time I
was through, and Burger King had moved in kitty corner across the
street.
The bike shop was there when I was there. There were at least two
other bike shops (one had a rack with tools cabled to it)

IV had a spotty history with big-name fast food until recently. They
tore down the Taco Bell in 1984, but replaced it with a new
shopping center containing, among other things, a Subway sandwich shop
(first one that I had ever seen). There was also a coffee shop (not
a poetry reading place like Borsodi's, just a place to get a jolt of
java), an ice cream shop, and a Chinese take out. ..much later on,
Starbucks moved in
Post by Tim May
(I'll throw a new ringer into the mix. My last year in I.V. an "off
campus" beer seller arrived...prior to around 1973 there had been some
legal restriction on beer or wine sales within X miles of a UC campus.
This place started just around from my last apartment, on Sabado Tarde.
It was called "SOS" or somesuch, and had funky waterfalls and suchlike
in the rock garden outside. And it has lasted...everytime I drive
through I see it. So has the Mexican restaurant nearby, on the ocean
side of the Loop. Funny thing is, I never ate at that Mexican
restaurant. Back then, too poor to eat at sit-down restaurants.)
"Six-Pack-Shop", "SOS Liquors" or "Lloyd's Liquors"....

There was also (at least when I was there) a couple of cheap Asian
markets selling beer, and ramen noodles, etc.
That would be kind of neat....might need a *lot* of space, though....
Nick Nelson
2004-10-15 04:54:13 UTC
I remember Perry's pizza, which we called Skip's (or vice versa). The
music store across the street from Morningglory was Music Odyssey, I
think, and there was another one down Embarcadero Del Norte toward the
ocean that had its main branch in SB (can't remember the name). There
were two markets, Isla Vista market and Pruitt's. IV market looked
like some army base market, and Pruitt's was all hippied out with wood
and shells, but IV Market was just as hip. Yellowstone Clothing had
used Levis. One business that was still there when I went back in '93
was the Ney York Sandwich (or was it Subway) Company, which had a
mean Italian sausage sandwich.

I saw the first Emmanuelle movie at the Magic Lantern, but uh, also
some intellectual movies.
Charles Hobbs
2004-10-18 01:33:49 UTC
Post by Tim May
Interestingly, it was about a block away from what I _DO_ know for sure
was the very first, the very first, Kinko's. Kinko started his small
copy shop in the fall of 1970, just as I was arriving.
(I remember it was a pretty big deal when I saw another one of them in
San Luis Obispo, where my girlfriend at the time was going to school,
in 1978-79. Kinko's was just starting its major expansion, and I
remember saying to her, "Hey, that place started in Isla Vista!")
I remember that place, it was a little one-room building, and about
a couple of years later, they added a second story.

Of course, the name reminded everyone of that Doctor Demento song
about a child molester....

Right next door, there was a place called "The Alternative", another
copy/photo shop. I wonder whatever happened to them....
--Tim May
Dancebert
2004-10-19 02:57:48 UTC
Damm, this post jarred a few 27 year old memories loose ...

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 01:33:49 GMT, Charles Hobbs
Post by Charles Hobbs
Right next door, there was a place called "The Alternative", another
copy/photo shop. I wonder whatever happened to them....
Favorite munchies place was called something like New York Hero House.
Same side of the street as Kinko's, but close to Embarcadero del Mar.
Bread that was half air and half sponge, meatballs or sausage that
were half grease and half things that even the pig though were spare
parts, red sauce that had all the subtly of a whack on the side of the
head with a 2x4 and a semi-gooey cheese-like substance that was just
as gooey when it was hot as when you were finishing the last bite. I
made the mistake of eating there once when I wasn't stoned and
couldn't finish half of it. But when I was high they were the perfect
food.

So what was the name of the place that had the burritos as big as a
dachshund? I think it was on Trigo.

Dancebert - UCSB Class of 77
forked tongue
2004-10-19 03:27:54 UTC
Look at what you started Annie:

Come on, time for you to give it up. What's the best garbage burger in
Detroit? Where's the best 20 year old college eats in Berkeley? What's
the best 40 year old eats in Milwaukee? Come on Annie, give it up, you
started it.

hssssss
Dancebert - UCSB Class of 77
Arne Adolfsen
2004-10-24 15:41:54 UTC
Oh, El-Forko and your alter-ego SSSSSSSSSTP, don't you have even an
elementary grip on the English language? From the quoted passage: I
started Annie who to do what, exactly?

Love,
Arne

{STP}
2004-10-09 15:07:45 UTC
Post by Sam D.
Tommy's and In-N-Out are the only fast food chains that I care for
unless you count Top's which I don't think qualifies as a chain. I
haven't eaten at the Pasadena location but I've found the food at the
8-10 other Tommy's where I have eaten to be very consistent. The thing
that varies seems to be the speed with which it is prepared. For some
reason the ones with indoor seating seem to trail on this. The one in
Monrovia, for example, is pathetically slow. ER and Rampart are quick.
Oh, one more difference. Rampart has self service canned drink
coolers.
What about In 'n' Out?

And, yes, Top's is a chain.

{STP}
forked tongue
2004-10-09 21:37:25 UTC
Post by {STP}
Post by Sam D.
Tommy's and In-N-Out are the only fast food chains that I care for
unless you count Top's which I don't think qualifies as a chain. I
haven't eaten at the Pasadena location but I've found the food at the
8-10 other Tommy's where I have eaten to be very consistent. The thing
that varies seems to be the speed with which it is prepared. For some
reason the ones with indoor seating seem to trail on this. The one in
Monrovia, for example, is pathetically slow. ER and Rampart are quick.
Oh, one more difference. Rampart has self service canned drink
coolers.
What about In 'n' Out?
And, yes, Top's is a chain.
{STP}
I know Top's used to be a chain, but in checking their website
http://www.topsrestaurants.com/location/body_location.html
I'm beginning to think they aren't related anymore.
The others are a Top's Jr in Altadena and another Top's at Foothill and
Allen in Pasadena.
Sam D.
2004-10-10 02:27:32 UTC
Post by forked tongue
Post by {STP}
Post by Sam D.
[...]
I think they may be separately owned by different members of the same
family. They do serve a very good char-broiled burger and very decent
onion rings in massive portions.
{STP}
2004-10-10 06:59:27 UTC
Post by forked tongue
Post by {STP}
Post by Sam D.
[...]
The website does indicate that.

Last time I was on Main in west Alhambra, there was one just east of
Fremont.

{STP}
Julian Macassey
2004-10-10 03:39:24 UTC
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:22:51 +0000 (UTC), D. Gerasimatos
Post by D. Gerasimatos
Post by Julian Macassey
Plus of course, the burger by which the others are judged
- Tommys - has a place on Colorado Boulevard, Eagle Rock.
Ever been to Tommy's in Pasadena? I've driven by it approximately 3
trillion times and never stopped. Last Tommy's I went to was in Hollywood.
How good is the Pasadena incarnation?
I didn't know there was one in Pasadena. There is one in
Eagle Rock as I noted.

It is pretty good and does carry chilli-frys.
Nick Nelson
CWLee
2004-10-09 00:37:17 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Casa Blanca does a great job with pizza. A young bohemian
clientele and friendly waitresses.
But it is one of the few places still around that does not
accept credit cards, at least as of a couple of months ago.
That keeps some of my crowd away some of the time.
D. Gerasimatos
2004-10-09 01:25:55 UTC
Post by CWLee
But it is one of the few places still around that does not
accept credit cards, at least as of a couple of months ago.
That keeps some of my crowd away some of the time.
Also tends to keep odd hours and gets very crowded. I have been there
twice and have yet to actually eat. I've given up. The credit card thing
would infuriate me, FWIW.

Dimitri
Tim May
2004-10-09 01:57:07 UTC
Post by D. Gerasimatos
Post by CWLee
But it is one of the few places still around that does not
accept credit cards, at least as of a couple of months ago.
That keeps some of my crowd away some of the time.
Also tends to keep odd hours and gets very crowded. I have been there
twice and have yet to actually eat. I've given up. The credit card thing
would infuriate me, FWIW.
There's a restaurant near me, in Santa Cruz, which also does not take
credit cards. I just take this into account (and there are ATMs just
outside, on the wharf.)

I've never understood why a business would not take CCs, but they must
have some kind of reason. And it hasn't seemed to have affected their
business, as they are nearly always crowded.

(Riva Fish House, on the wharf in Santa Cruz. Their beer-battered
calamari is the best I have ever had, and very reasonably priced ($9).
A place I take nearly all of my visitors to. This one restaurant has
turned me into a major calamar fan, and I have sought its equivalent in
many places, including L.A. If anyone knows of any great calamari/squid
in L.A., speak out!)

--Tim May
forked tongue
2004-10-09 03:21:19 UTC
Post by Tim May
I've never understood why a business would not take CCs, but they must
have some kind of reason. --Tim May
Automatic 3 to 4.5% discount. Or didn't you realize that the business
doesn't get all the money the card company gets from you? Oh the other
reason is because the business owner has to have perfect credit or the banks
won't let you take cards.

Considering I hear the grocery chains have a 2% margin, I wonder how they can
take cards.
Tim May
2004-10-09 03:26:19 UTC
Post by forked tongue
Post by Tim May
I've never understood why a business would not take CCs, but they must
have some kind of reason. --Tim May
Automatic 3 to 4.5% discount. Or didn't you realize that the business
doesn't get all the money the card company gets from you? Oh the other
reason is because the business owner has to have perfect credit or the banks
won't let you take cards.
Considering I hear the grocery chains have a 2% margin, I wonder how they can
take cards.
Which is grounds to suspect the "automatic 3 to 4.5% discount" theory,
as all of the grocery stores near me heavily promote their CC/debit
systems.

I expect they pay nowhere near "3 to 4.5%" of their gross.

In fact, the immediate settlement and reduction of cash transport
requirements probably helps their bottom line.

--Tim May
{STP}
2004-10-09 15:11:15 UTC
Post by Tim May
Post by forked tongue
Post by Tim May
I've never understood why a business would not take CCs, but they
must have some kind of reason. --Tim May
Automatic 3 to 4.5% discount. Or didn't you realize that the
business doesn't get all the money the card company gets from you?
Oh the other reason is because the business owner has to have
perfect credit or the banks won't let you take cards.
Considering I hear the grocery chains have a 2% margin, I wonder
how they can take cards.
Which is grounds to suspect the "automatic 3 to 4.5% discount"
theory, as all of the grocery stores near me heavily promote their
CC/debit systems.
I expect they pay nowhere near "3 to 4.5%" of their gross.
In fact, the immediate settlement and reduction of cash transport
requirements probably helps their bottom line.
Certainly giant corporations can cut their own deal with the credit
card companies, but a place like Casa Blanca certainly can't. They have
to go with what the CC company offers--take it or leave it. They left
it.

{STP}
forked tongue
2004-10-10 20:00:01 UTC
Post by {STP}
Post by Tim May
Post by forked tongue
Post by Tim May
[...]
I'm sure the gocery's have cut their own deal. The grocery's may also get
faster settlement than the normal three to five days that every other
business owner has to take. But if you look at their ad's it isn't
directed at credit cards per say, it is directed at debit cards. I think
they may get faster settlement on them. It may all be moot with "Check
24" anyway. With 24 hour clearing on checks, three to five days on credit
cards is going to be a long time, and "Check 24" also provides for pay by
ACH. I suspect that will be the next big push by the grocery's. Register
your bank account on your loyalty discount club card!

As for cash transport, Grocery's are acting as the bank. "How much cash
back with that?" AFIK Brinks charges by the run, not a percentage of the
cash moved. The grocery's still need cash from their bank no matter what,
so those runs from Brinks are still going to happen. Maybe the stores
have conned their insurance carriers into a lower rate for having less
cash in the vault for the stickup man to take. I don't think the cash
drawers are easier to balance so I doubt there is a measurable labor
savings.

As for a small restaurant, cash settles instantly, and there is no
discount and as a bonus you can put down any amount you want for the IRS,
Franchise Tax Board and Board of Equalization. Yes a few customers will
be put off, but it may well be worth it. And the wait staff can lie about
the tips to the IRS as well.

Only do business with cash, help cheat the IRS out of it's take. It's the
American way!
Arne Adolfsen
2004-10-10 20:51:19 UTC
forked tongue wrote:
Post by forked tongue
I'm sure the gocery's
The gorcey (singular) has cut its own deal?
Post by forked tongue
have cut their own deal. The grocery's
The plural of "grocery" is not "grocery's" but I'm sure you knew that
already, El Forko.
Post by forked tongue
may also get
faster settlement than the normal three to five days that every other
business owner has to take. But if you look at their ad's
What do the advertisements own?
Post by forked tongue
it isn't
directed at credit cards per say, it is directed at debit cards. I think
they may get faster settlement on them. It may all be moot with "Check
24" anyway. With 24 hour clearing on checks, three to five days on credit
cards is going to be a long time, and "Check 24" also provides for pay by
ACH. I suspect that will be the next big push by the grocery's.
Which grocery are you talking about?
Post by forked tongue
your bank account on your loyalty discount club card!
As for cash transport, Grocery's
Moron -- the plural for "grocery" is "groceries".

[...]
Post by forked tongue
Only do business with cash, help cheat the IRS out of it's take.
"It is take"? Hmmm...has El-Forko displayed its illiteracy yet again?

Arne
***@earthlink.net
Bob Barnett
Shut up Annie
Admiral Crunch
2004-10-10 22:42:38 UTC
Why do you think he knew that? He's clearly not too bright.
Arne Adolfsen
2004-10-11 01:38:20 UTC
Post by Admiral Crunch
Post by Arne Adolfsen
Post by forked tongue
have cut their own deal. The grocery's
The plural of "grocery" is not "grocery's" but I'm sure you knew that
already, El Forko.
Why do you think he knew that? He's clearly not too bright.
Thanks for an additional confirmation about El Forko's stupidity. He's
either retarded or just a stupid ass-head.

Arne
***@earthlink.net
forked tongue
2004-10-11 00:51:40 UTC
Post by Arne Adolfsen
forked tongue wrote:
Post by forked tongue
I'm sure the gocery's
Annie who said he would never respond to one of my posts again, proves he is a
liar again.
Sam D.
2004-10-09 02:26:47 UTC
Post by D. Gerasimatos
Post by CWLee
But it is one of the few places still around that does not
accept credit cards, at least as of a couple of months ago.
That keeps some of my crowd away some of the time.
Also tends to keep odd hours and gets very crowded. I have been there
twice and have yet to actually eat. I've given up. The credit card thing
would infuriate me, FWIW.
Credit cards can increase the volume of business but they cost a
business money. Judging from the crowds at Casa Blanca, it looks like
they are already operating at their capacity at least during peak
hours. So they may not care to pay out an additional cost for a
service intended to further boost their business.
Julian Macassey
2004-10-10 03:55:50 UTC
Post by CWLee
Post by Julian Macassey
Casa Blanca does a great job with pizza. A young bohemian
clientele and friendly waitresses.
But it is one of the few places still around that does not
accept credit cards, at least as of a couple of months ago.
That keeps some of my crowd away some of the time.
I forget to mention that in my post.

As my friend who invited me to dinner there said in his
e-mail "In true Wop fashion, they don't take credit cards so they
don't have to report that income to the IRS."

I find it part of their charm.

There are ATMs nearby.
D. Gerasimatos
2004-10-10 05:21:39 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
As my friend who invited me to dinner there said in his
e-mail "In true Wop fashion, they don't take credit cards so they
don't have to report that income to the IRS."
What a great friend to use words like that! He'd fit right in on la.eats!

Dimitri