the Hall Brasserie
-a-
2009-11-09 16:55:08 UTC
...thought I'd try to post something about an LA restaurant.

It was my closest friend's birthday and even though it's been a tough year I
wanted to have a very celebratory dinner.

Someone recommended this restaurant in the courtyard of The PaliHouse, an
unobtrusive but (apparently) very upscale hotel on Holloway in West
Hollywood.

It was an amazing meal. Amazing. Not cheap by a long shot but amazing.
Even a green salad was pretty perfect, with a nice dijon vinaigrette which
allowed the greens to dominate but the mustard to play nicely with them. I
wasn't crazy about the tomato jam served with the bread, but the bread was
really dense and crusty.

I had black cod and my friend had a roast chicken. Both were perfect -- the
chicken, even the white meat was deeply flavored and tender with a crispy
skin; the cod was in a nice sauce and had a vinaigrette tomato reudction
under the skin. It was delicious. The side dishes were wonderful -- both
legume, with the cod a thick bean and cream that complemented it perfectly
annd with the chicken a smokey bacon corn and bean side which was terrific.

It is a smallish courtyard restaurant (not overly designed, but you enter
through the hotel lobby which is very authentically 40s looking) with a
skylight and was filled up by the evening's end (Seth Rogan was there with a
large party, so I would gather there's a Hollywood clientelle, but it was
still fantastic). The sound dynamic is such that you can speak intimately,
but there is an overall din from the room.

We did not have dessert, but did have drinks (I had a rich rescal and my
guest had a couple martinis). Expensive but a wonderful meal and if you
want a real once-this-year type of meal, it's worth checking out. I'd not
heard of it prior to the recommendation.
Peter Lawrence
2009-11-09 18:57:20 UTC
Post by -a-
We did not have dessert, but did have drinks (I had a rich rescal and my
guest had a couple martinis). Expensive but a wonderful meal and if you
want a real once-this-year type of meal, it's worth checking out. I'd
not heard of it prior to the recommendation.
As a point of reference, approximately how much did you spend on the total
bill (for two I presume)?

- Peter
-a-