Cupcakes and Gang Turf, SF
Julian Macassey
2011-03-15 01:55:59 UTC
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:34:31 -0700, evergene
Still scrubbing the great unwashed of Pomona. That's not how she's
doing, it's what she's doing, but that's the best I can do.
Claremont is very upmarket compared to Pomona. I used to
make Mickey Mouse phones next to the Pomona colleges. They are an
oases. There were French restaurants and sushi bars surrounding
the colleges.
Has she become too snooty for ba.food?
I think the crazies chased her away from la.eats
--
Guantanamo will be closed, no later than a year from now. - Barack
Obama Signing Executive Order 22 Jan 2009
evergene
2011-03-15 03:32:43 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:34:31 -0700, evergene
Still scrubbing the great unwashed of Pomona. That's not how she's
doing, it's what she's doing, but that's the best I can do.
Claremont is very upmarket compared to Pomona. I used to
make Mickey Mouse phones next to the Pomona colleges. They are an
oases. There were French restaurants and sushi bars surrounding
the colleges.
Yeah, I remember my one trip to the area: the final leg of the drive
was: desert, desert, desert, strip malls, then suddenly, lawns! Grass!
Oak trees! It felt like Amherst had been beamed into the Southland. No
wonder Meg dubbed it "Sprinklerville."
Post by Julian Macassey
Has she become too snooty for ba.food?
I think the crazies chased her away from la.eats
One perpetually angry chimpanzee in particular, as I recall, who flung
his feces around indiscriminately.
I see you've crossposted your note. Hope springs eternal?
spamtrap1888
2011-03-15 04:19:40 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:34:31 -0700, evergene
Still scrubbing the great unwashed of Pomona. That's not how she's
doing, it's what she's doing, but that's the best I can do.
        Claremont is very upmarket compared to Pomona. I used to
make Mickey Mouse phones next to the Pomona colleges. They are an
oases. There were French restaurants and sushi bars surrounding
the colleges.
We have friends who live north of the fwy. That part of Claremont
reminds me of the new parts of Pleasanton.
Meg Worley
2011-12-03 16:38:48 UTC
(While I'm checking in on ba.food, I might as well see what y'all
are up to on la.eats...)
Post by Julian Macassey
Claremont is very upmarket compared to Pomona. I used to
make Mickey Mouse phones next to the Pomona colleges. They are an
oases. There were French restaurants and sushi bars surrounding
the colleges.
Eh, Claremont's okay for food, but not great. We actually lived
in Pomona, where the only decent meal available was tacos. Or at
my dining room table. One place in particular, which flew under
various flags, all involvin the words "Second Street" (Bistro, Grill,
etc.) is the little restaurant that cannot succeed. Lovely space,
but a parade of owners/managers with very poor judgment and taste.
So sad.

Rage away,

meg
Meg Worley _._ ***@steam.stanford.edu _._ Comparatively Literate
Julian Macassey
2011-12-03 20:14:52 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Claremont is very upmarket compared to Pomona. I used to
make Mickey Mouse phones next to the Pomona colleges. They are an
oases. There were French restaurants and sushi bars surrounding
the colleges.
Eh, Claremont's okay for food, but not great. We actually lived
in Pomona, where the only decent meal available was tacos. Or at
my dining room table. One place in particular, which flew under
various flags, all involvin the words "Second Street" (Bistro, Grill,
etc.) is the little restaurant that cannot succeed. Lovely space,
but a parade of owners/managers with very poor judgment and taste.
So sad.
Driving out to Kingman, Arizona a few months ago, I
noticed how much things had changed. The 210 Freeway now goes
through and McMansions are everywhere..

I will not be reporting on the food in Kingman, I have
yet to find anything worth eating in that town.
--
"Comment voulez-vous gouverner un pays qui a deux cent quarante-six variétés
de fromage?" ("How can you govern a country which has two hundred and