Buckwheat label
Julian Macassey
2014-08-30 22:09:02 UTC
We eat a fair amount of buckwheat, usually "Indo-European" brand. It
"Ingredients: roasted buckwheat groats." And under that, this
completely incorrect statement: "Contains wheat."
How many gluten avoiders are missing out? Sad.
Indo-European is as I recall a LA/Glendale company owned by
Armenians. They also used to own a funky supermarket in Hollywood
across the parking lot from a Titty bar.

The Supermarket was called Rons, not Vons or another mini
chain in LA Jons. The Rons had taken the V off the signage and
replaced it with an R in a totally different typeface.

Anyhow, Rons, now no longer with us, had a ton of
Indo-European products. Some had only Arab or Armenian names on the
bags and shelf tags. Once I asked an employee what the common
English name was for something, he just shrugged.

Of course, some stuff I recognised, dried lemons for
instance.

But I can understand them adding the contains wheat warning,
after all the label does say buckwheat.
--
"She needs to stop doing drugs and get a grip. Then maybe we'll talk." -
Stevie Nicks about Lindsay Lohan, NY Times 2009
Pico Rico
2014-08-30 22:51:28 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
We eat a fair amount of buckwheat, usually "Indo-European" brand. It
"Ingredients: roasted buckwheat groats." And under that, this
completely incorrect statement: "Contains wheat."
snip
Post by Julian Macassey
But I can understand them adding the contains wheat warning,
after all the label does say buckwheat.
maybe that is their abbreviated version of "this product has been process on
the same machinery that has been used to process wheat, nuts, blah, blah,
blah"
Steve Pope
2014-08-30 22:54:51 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
But I can understand them adding the contains wheat warning,
after all the label does say buckwheat.
maybe that is their abbreviated version of "this product has been process on
the same machinery that has been used to process wheat, nuts, blah, blah,
blah"
I figure a food purveryor has one of two choices: claim the stuff
is gluten free, or say WHEAT in big letters. There is no middle ground.

Steve
evergene
2014-08-31 01:20:05 UTC
Post by Steve Pope
Post by Julian Macassey
But I can understand them adding the contains wheat warning,
after all the label does say buckwheat.
maybe that is their abbreviated version of "this product has been process on
the same machinery that has been used to process wheat, nuts, blah, blah,
blah"
They've got that disclaimer on the label, too.
Post by Steve Pope
I figure a food purveryor has one of two choices: claim the stuff
is gluten free, or say WHEAT in big letters. There is no middle ground.
Steve
Well, they cover all their bases. Buckwheat has no gluten, is not in
the wheat family, and the label says "wheat." Not in big letters, but
still.
Ian B MacLure
2014-09-06 02:39:51 UTC
Julian Macassey <***@tele.com> wrote in news:***@adeed.tele.com:

[snip]
Post by Julian Macassey
The Supermarket was called Rons, not Vons or another mini
chain in LA Jons. The Rons had taken the V off the signage and
replaced it with an R in a totally different typeface.
Jons is also in La Jolla IIRC.

IBM