Funny thing for Safeway in Dallas
Dave U. Random
2009-11-09 02:00:44 UTC
I was visiting a Dallas supermarket to pick up
a few things for myself. It was called "Tom
Thumb." All the employees were wearing Safeway
styled uniforms, and my loyalty card worked at
the cash registers.

So Tom Thumb is Safeway in disguise for Texas.
Anyone know why?
Travis James
2009-11-09 03:03:55 UTC
Post by Dave U. Random
I was visiting a Dallas supermarket to pick up
a few things for myself. It was called "Tom
Thumb." All the employees were wearing Safeway
styled uniforms, and my loyalty card worked at
the cash registers.
So Tom Thumb is Safeway in disguise for Texas.
Anyone know why?
Safeway is a big company with a $9 billion market cap. See the names in
the logo on their investors page.

http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/Investors#iframetop
Douglas Johnson
2009-11-09 13:48:50 UTC
Post by Dave U. Random
I was visiting a Dallas supermarket to pick up
a few things for myself. It was called "Tom
Thumb." All the employees were wearing Safeway
styled uniforms, and my loyalty card worked at
the cash registers.
So Tom Thumb is Safeway in disguise for Texas.
Anyone know why?
Safeway pulled out of Texas in the 80's. Randall's bought Tom Thumb about 10-12
years ago. Safeway bought Randall's about 7-8 years ago. They have been
Safeway-izing it since. Not an improvement, in my opinion.
-- Doug
spamtrap1888
2009-11-10 17:38:33 UTC
Post by Dave U. Random
I was visiting a Dallas supermarket to pick up
a few things for myself. It was called "Tom
Thumb." All the employees were wearing Safeway
styled uniforms, and my loyalty card worked at
the cash registers.
So Tom Thumb is Safeway in disguise for Texas.
Anyone know why?
Loyalty to a once local brand. Albertson's and Safeway bought the two
big chains in Chicago, without changing their names. If only Macy's
had been smart enough to do that with their acquisitions.
The Busman